An antique enamelled gold pendant by John Brogden,
the central rectangular plaque enamelled to depict The Cupid Vendor, a fresco uncovered in the eighteenth-century excavations at Stabiae, Italy, within a polychrome-enamelled neo-Renaissance mount, the reverse with locket compartment.
John Brogden won distinctions at exhibitions in Paris and London throughout the 1850s, 60s and 70s. He was inspired by archaeological and Renaissance sources and was patronized by royalty. H.R.H. Princess Louise, Marchioness of Lorne, owned a jewel matching this description, which she lent to the South Kensington Museum (later the Victoria and Albert Museum) for an exhibition in 1872. A version of the jewel had also been shown at the 1867 Exposition Universelle.
Unsigned, circa 1867
Height including pendant loop 5.5 cm
See Munn, Geoffrey C. ‘Castellani and Giuliano’, 1984, page 166 and plate 179 for an illustration of jewels shown by Brogden at the 1867 Exposition Universelle
Prices on application
For additional information regarding the above piece please contact Wartski